Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Breakfast of Champions – Go Green


To the unapproving looks of my family members, I make my super green and delicious smoothie every morning. I am actually starting to CRAVE it... it is just that good! This drink is so easy, unbelievably nutritious and a great way to get tons of spinach in your diet without chomping away for half an hour on a spinach salad!

4-5 cups spinach
1-2 frozen/ raw bananas
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds

Optional: berries (Warning: berries will make your smoothie brown!! But berries will provide Vitamin C, which will aid in the absorption of the iron from the spinach! So take your pick.)

If you have an amazing blender like a VitaMix than this recipe will be a breeze! Otherwise you will want to divide your spinach into batches to blend. So start with a cup of spinach, add a bit of water and blend. Continue to add the rest of the spinach in one cup proportions until it is all blended in the blender. Now add the banana(s), cinnamon and ground flax seeds and blend until smooth. Pour and enjoy!

I have yet to convert my family to green smoothie addicts, but I know there is hope! I’m already excited for my drink tomorrow morning!

No comments: